Wednesday, Jan. 23
5 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a networking event at Tropical Isle/Seaside Inn, 101 22nd St. N., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
Thursday, Jan. 24
11:30 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce hosts a lunch meeting at Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse, 2001 Siesta Drive, Sarasota. Information: 941-383-2466.
Noon - St. Bernard Catholic Church’s CCW group hosts a Mardi Gras luncheon and fashion show in the church activity hall, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-761-9278.
Friday, Jan. 25
10 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach, hosts a workshop on drawing portraits with instructor Doug Long. Information and registration: 941-778-2099.
Saturday, Jan. 26
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island meets for breakfast and a program at Cafe on the Beach, Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
9 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., hosts a fee-based class in babysitting. Information and registration: 941-941-778-1541.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. - A Manatee County Household Hazardous Waste/E-Scrap Collection takes place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Coquina Beach. Information: 941-316-1988.
10 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Art League hosts a workshop on scrapbooking with instructor Tammy Barrons at the league, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
Sunday, Jan. 27
8 a.m. to 11 a.m. - St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts a pancake breakfast. Information: 941-778-4769.
3 p.m. - Gloria Dei Lutheran Church organist and choirmaster Carl Parks performs a free concert at the church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1813.
4 p.m. - The Studio at Gulf and Pine in Anna Maria hosts a reception for “Myakka Series: New Works,” featuring work by artist and naturalist Jean Blackburn. Information: 941-778-1906.
Monday, Jan. 28
7 p.m. - Mote Marine Laboratory, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota, hosts a lecture - “Who’s Chasing Whom? The Quest for the World’s Largest Calamari” - with zoologist Clyde F. E. Roper. Information: 941-388-4441.
Tuesday, Jan. 29
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. - The polls open for Florida’s presidential preference primary. Information: www.votemanatee.com.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. The speaker is Dan Stephens talking about native Floridians. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, Jan. 30
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce hosts a breakfast meeting at the chamber office, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-2466.
10:30 a.m. to noon - The University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee’s Academy for Lifelong Learning speaker series features historian Jeffery Moates at the Studio at Gulf and Pine in Anna Maria. Information: 941-359-4296.
- Through Jan. 31, the 14th annual memorial James Pay Exhibit is at the Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2099.
- Anna Maria resident Jay Canterbury is the featured artist in January at the Arts Council of Manatee County Gallery, 926 12th St. W., Bradenton. The exhibit showcases photographic abstracts. Information: 941-746-2223.
- Bingo gets called at the Annie Silver Community Center, 103 23rd St., Bradenton Beach, at 7 p.m. on Thursdays through March. Information: 941-778-1915.w
- Pet lovers share stories on the second Wednesday of the month at the Martinique North Condominium Surf Clubhouse, 5300 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1989.
- The Anna Maria Island Historical Society, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, sells settlers bread on Wednesdays at the museum. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays, including cooking, dance, fitness and art classes. The Center also hosts a variety of athletic programs. Information: 941-778-1908, or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- On Mondays at 1 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Contract Bridge Group plays games at the Roser Memorial Community Church, 512 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-4362.
- The second and fourth Mondays of the month at 9 a.m., the widowed persons support group meets at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On Tuesdays at 4 p.m., Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts meetings of the Inquiring Minds group. Information: 941-778-1813.
- The Village of the Arts - located between Ninth and 14th streets west and Ninth and 17th avenues west in Bradenton - holds art walks on the first Fridays and first Saturdays of the month. Information: 941-747-8056.
- On Feb. 2, the Friends of the Library hosts the annual Friends Book Sale at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. A preview sale for Friends of the Library members takes place the day before. Information: 941-778-6341.
- On Feb. 2, the Magic of Manatee Sweet Adelines annual show takes place at the Neel Performing Arts Center on the Manatee Community College campus in Bradenton. Information and tickets: 941-794-0218.
- On Feb. 2, King Middle School’s environmental club holds an electronic collection cleanup day. People are invited to bring their old electronics to the school parking lot for donation from 9 a.m. to noon. Information: 727-251-9367.
- On Feb. 3, the Anna Maria Island Community Center hosts the U.S. Air Force Reserve Band in a free concert. Free tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Information: 941-778-1908.
- On Feb. 3, the Superbowl takes place in Arizona with the kickoff at 6:18 p.m. It will be televised on the Fox Network.
- On Feb. 7, the Anna Maria Island Historical Society hosts a Jazz Fest at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-0492.
- On Feb. 8, a benefit for the Anna Maria Island Butterfly Park - the Butterfly Bash - takes place at St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On Feb. 10, the Anna Maria Wedding Merchants Association hosts an Islandwide wedding trade fair. Information: 941-778-8705.
Save the date
- On Feb. 14, the Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island presents the annual Sweetheart Dance at the Anna Maria Island Community Center. Information: 941-778-1383.
- On Feb. 16, the American Legion Post 24, 2000 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts a variety show. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Feb. 16-17, the Holmes Beach Butterfly Art and Craft Festival takes place at Holmes Beach City Hall field, 5801 Marina Drive. Information: 352-344-0657.
- On Feb. 23, the Anna Maria Island Community Center holds its annual auction and dinner - an Affaire to Remember - at the Center. Information: 941-778-1908.
- On Feb. 23, the Historic Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts the Anna Maria Island Farmers Market.
- On Feb. 29, the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce hosts its annual fashion show at the Bradenton Country Club. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On March 1, the Anna Maria Island Historical Society hosts Heritage Days at the museum, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-0492.
- March 8-9, the Anna Maria Island Art League presents Springfest, an arts and crafts show, at the Holmes Beach City Hall Field. Information: 941-778-2099.
- On March 15, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Community Center presents its annual Tour of Homes benefit. Information: 941-778-1908.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.