Fire damages Bradenton Beach house
Tragedy struck a Bradenton Beach family last week as a fire broke out in their home.
Peggy and David Anderson and their son, Billy Goldschmidt, 20, were able to escape the Dec. 5 blaze that started in Billy’s bedroom, but their Rottweiler-mix dog Shanna died in the fire.
West Manatee Fire Rescue Chief Andy Price said the cause of the conflagration was electrical - an aquarium apparently shorted in their rental house at 2110 Ave. A. He estimated damage at approximately $5,000 to the structure and contents.
Smoke damage was extensive, and although the bed frames were spared, all the mattresses, linens and pillows were a total loss. Billy’s clothes were also lost in the fire.
The family is seeking help this holiday season to recover from the loss caused by the fire. Peggy, who has worked at the One-Stop Shell Shop in Bradenton Beach for years, and David, who is a registered nurse, welcome any assistance Islanders may provide. She may be reached at 704-0741.