Story Tools

Date of Issue: June 16, 2010

Historic house gets change of address

A truck hauling a 1900s Sears kit-home pulls out of a lot in the 300 block of Pine Avenue June 8 to begin a slow drive to the cottage’s new home in the 500 block of Pine Avenue. Dozens of onlookers turned out on moving day. Islander Photos: Lisa Neff

The Sears cottage took up the width of Pine Avenue, and motorists were detoured onto adjacent streets during the 45-minute house-moving. Islander Photo: Rick Catlin

Anna Maria’s Pine Avenue early June 8 had all the flavor and atmosphere of a July 4th parade.

Crowds began gathering at 308 Pine Ave. with digital cameras and video recorders as early as 7 a.m. to watch as the historic kit-house was moved to its new location at 503 Pine Ave., site of the planned Anna Maria Historic Green Village. It was the first house-moving in Anna Maria since the Belle Haven cottage was moved in 2002 to the city-owned historical park.

The Sears house, built in 1937 from a kit from the Sears, Roebuck Co. catalog, was obtained by Lizzie and Mike Thrasher to be part of the historic village. Sissy Quinn of the Anna Maria Island Preservation Trust has designated the house as historic to the city.

Two other historic Anna Maria homes on site are scheduled to be part of the village and the Thrashers plan to build two new retail-office-residential structures on the property.

The village project encompasses the parcels the Thrashers own at 501, 503, 505 and 507 Pine Ave.

Anna Maria’s planning and zoning board was to hold a public hearing June 15 on the village site-plan and make a recommendation to the city commission.