If you’ve got a great snapshot, we’ve got a contest you could win.
The Islander Top Notch photo contest will began publishing weekly winning photos July 11. Six weekly winning pictures will be featured on the cover of The Islander, and one photo will be a grand prize winner of $100 cash prize from The Islander and other prizes and gift certificates from local merchants. Weekly winners receive a “More Than a Mullet Wrapper” Islander T-shirt.
The weekly deadline is noon Friday throughout the contest, with the first deadline July 6.
Top Notch judging begins with a selection of pictures that may include family, landscapes and scenics, candid snapshots, action, holidays, humor and animal pictures. Nothing is overlooked, including kid pics, sentimental moments and moments of personal triumph. This year judges also will be looking for photos in a category of its own: Pets. First- through third-place pet photos will earn special prizes appropriate to the pet from Perks 4 Pets and The Islander.
Digital contest entries should be submitted in original camera format via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or on a non-returnable disc.
Only photo cropping is allowed. No retouching, enhancements or computer manipulation is allowed.
Digital entries are encouraged, but contestants may send or deliver photo prints to Top Notch Contest Editor, The Islander, 5404 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach FL 34217.
Complete rules and entry criteria for the contest are published weekly and online at www.islander.org.
E-mail entries must include only one photo attachment/entry per e-mail with the required information in the e-mail text. There is no limit to the number of weekly entries. Entries need not be repeated weekly. Any photos not selected but preferred by the judges are moved forward each week of the contest.
Photos without the required entry information will be disqualified.
Top Notch contest rules
1) The Islander Newspaper Top Notch Photo Contest is strictly for amateur photographers — those who derive less than 5 percent of their income from photography.
2) Black-and-white and color photographs taken after Jan. 1, 2011, are eligible. Photos previously published (in any format/media) or entered in any Islander or other competition are not eligible.
3) Photographs may be taken with any camera. No retouching or other alteration (except cropping) is permitted; no composite or multiple print images will be accepted. Digital photos must be submitted in JPG file format. Prints from digital or film are accepted. Slides are not accepted.
4) Entrant’s name, address and phone number must be included either in the e-mail or affixed to the back of each print submitted. One e-mail per photo submission. E-mail single entries to email@example.com. Mail or deliver print entries to The Islander, Top Notch Photo Contest, 5404 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach FL 34217.
5) Entrants by their entry agree that The Islander may publish their pictures for local promotion. Entrants must provide the original digital image or negative if requested by the contest editor. All photos submitted become the property of The Islander. Photos will not be returned. The Islander and contest sponsors assume no responsibility for materials submitted.
Entrant must provide the name and address of any recognizable persons appearing in the picture with the entry.
6) Employees and paid contributors to The Islander and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter the contest.