Holmes Beach code enforcement officer David Forbes will continue his folksy-styled enforcement this week, knocking on the doors of each rental agent in the city.
He will be delivering a one-page “Holmes Beach Regulations Reference” and a message aimed at getting word out to agents and renters about the city’s trash, parking, noise and turtle/beach regulations.
“I want them to give each of their renters one of these on a bright sheet of paper,” he said, pointing to a regulations handout.
This latest move in Holmes Beach code enforcement comes on the heels of Forbes’ warning letters sent June 18 to owners and rental agencies about previous noise complaints to Holmes Beach Police Department at their properties. The letters will “lay the foundation” for future code violations if there are repeat occurrences, Forbes said.
In addition to noise, rental agents will be on the hot seat for trash, parking and other code violations, and may be held liable along with the property owners and renters.
There are 34 doors to knock on, according to Forbes, including A Paradise Realty, AMI Beaches Real Estate, AMI Real Estate, Anna Maria Gulf Coast Rentals, Anna Maria Island Accommodations, Anna Maria Realty Inc., Anna Maria Vacations, Bark & Company, Big Fish Real Estate, Charity & Weiss, Coastal Properties Realty, Colwell Banker, Dolores M. Baker, Duncan Real Estate, Edgewater Real Estate, Engel & Voelkers, Fran Maxon Real Estate, Green Real Estate, Gulf-Bay Realty, Horizon Realty, Island Real Estate, Island Vacation Properties, Mike Norman Realty, Old Florida Realty Co., Re/Max Alliance Group, Sato Real Estate, Skipper & Associates, Sol Terre Properties, Sotheby’s Sun Resorts International, Suncoast Real Estate, T. Dolly Young Real Estate and Wagner Realty.
The Holmes Beach regulations in the handout include:
Trash and recycling
• All trash and recyclables must be in cans or bags.
• Recycling is picked up on Mondays.
• Trash is picked up on Mondays and Fridays.
• Trash may not be set out earlier than 5:30 a.m. the day before pickup.
• Empty trash cans must be removed no later than 10 a.m. the day following the pickup.
• Tenant should inform rental agent immediately of any missed pickup.
• Brown cans designate side-door service and are not intended to be taken to the curb. Waste Management will retrieve and return cans to the side-door location.
• All vehicles must be parked in garages or driveways.
• Vehicles cannot be parked in rights of way longer than 72 hours.
• Boats, trailers and recreational vehicles may not be parked in rights of way or along streets, but may be parked in a driveway or side yard.
• Loud music, voices and other unreasonable noise is subject to the noise ordinance between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m., Monday-Friday, and between 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. on weekends and holidays.
• Police are expected to issue one warning upon response to a noise complaint, and the property’s rental agent is to be notified. If the same offender/property requires future visits, citations and $75 fines may be issued, and multiple offenses may lead to eviction.
• Turtle nesting is May 1-Oct. 31, and the sea turtles and their nests are protected by federal and state laws.
• All beach items, including canopies, tents, chars, beach toys, umbrellas and trash, must be removed from beach at night.
• All lights visible from beach must be turned off or shielded.
• Dogs, bicycles, alcohol and open fires are not permitted on beaches.