Electrical issue causes Magnolia Avenue fire

West Manatee Fire Rescue was contacted at 8:17 a.m., Oct. 29, regarding a structure fire at 206 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria.

The first of four WMFR fire trucks, as well as one from Longboat Key Fire Rescue, began arriving on the scene four minutes later.

According to WMFR Fire Marshal Jim Davis, the blaze started at the base of a refrigerator “and appears to be electrical in nature.”

Damages to the two-story duplex are estimated to be about $100,000.

Davis said firefighters on the lead engine reported seeing smoke en route to the fire and requested additional units. Upon arrival, firefighters reported heavy smoke pouring from the upstairs rooftop eves.

Firefighters stacked a ladder on the west side of the house and began pouring water into the blaze while electrical crews shut off power to the home. Additional firefighting crews from Engine 111 then made entry on the east side of the structure.

Firefighters immediately located fire near the first floor stairway, with flames climbing into the second floor. With water already being poured into the second floor window, firefighters established a two-prong attack on the blaze.

Davis said crews extinguished the first-floor fire, put out the fire on the stairs and then advanced up the stairs to help battle the second-floor fire, which also was quickly put out.

Firefighters commenced mop-up operations, extinguishing smoldering embers throughout the structure. No injuries were reported.

More from The Islander

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *