Fire consumes Holmes Beach residence early April 17
The Holmes Beach residence of Pa and Kent Davis, former owners of the
Siam Garden Resort in Anna Maria, was consumed by a
fire that began shortly after 2 a.m. April 17.
Four fire trucks responded
to the 911-emergency call from Pa Davis for the residence
in the 500 block of 58th Street, including apparatus from West Manatee
Fire Rescue District stations and one truck from the Longboat Key Fire
Department. There were about 20 firefighters on the scene, as well as
law enforcement from the Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach police departments
and the Manatee County Sheriff’s
Office Anna Maria substation.
At least one firefighter was treated for smoke
inhalation by Manatee County Emergency Medical Services.
The fire apparently was accidental, started by a rag soaked
with linseed oil in a garbage can in the garage.
The Davis’ were alerted to the fire by smoke
detectors in the home and called 911.
The home was fully involved in flames when firefighters arrived.
The nearest hydrant for the water line was at Catchers
Marina, two blocks from the house, which is on the cul de sac at the
bay end of 58th Street. Electric lines were down beside the garage and
a propane tank exploded before firefighters were able to put up their
Neighbors stood in the street watching with the Davis’ as
the roof and trusses burned and collapsed into the structure.
By 4 a.m., it was apparent the
home was a total loss and the Davis’ accepted
accommodations overnight with a neighbor.
The full story will be available in
the April 23 print and online editions of The Islander.