Story Tools

Date of Issue: April 20, 2008

Fire consumes Holmes Beach residence early April 17

4-16-08/hb-fire-davis.jpg
 

The Holmes Beach residence of Pa and Kent Davis, former owners of the Siam Garden Resort in Anna Maria, was consumed by a fire that began shortly after 2 a.m. April 17.

Four fire trucks responded to the 911-emergency call from Pa Davis for the residence in the 500 block of 58th Street, including apparatus from West Manatee Fire Rescue District stations and one truck from the Longboat Key Fire Department. There were about 20 firefighters on the scene, as well as law enforcement from the Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach police departments and the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office Anna Maria substation.

At least one firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation by Manatee County Emergency Medical Services.

The fire apparently was accidental, started by a rag soaked with linseed oil in a garbage can in the garage.

The Davis’ were alerted to the fire by smoke detectors in the home and called 911.

The home was fully involved in flames when firefighters arrived. The nearest hydrant for the water line was at Catchers Marina, two blocks from the house, which is on the cul de sac at the bay end of 58th Street. Electric lines were down beside the garage and a propane tank exploded before firefighters were able to put up their battle.

Neighbors stood in the street watching with the Davis’ as the roof and trusses burned and collapsed into the structure.

By 4 a.m., it was apparent the home was a total loss and the Davis’ accepted accommodations overnight with a neighbor.

The full story will be available in the April 23 print and online editions of The Islander.