Candidate filing begins June 16
The period for people to file their candidacy for most local elected offices is from noon Monday, June 16, to noon Friday, June 20.
Voters this year will elect candidates at the local, county, regional, state and federal levels. The general election date is Nov. 4. The primary date is Aug. 26.
For voters, the cut off to register and vote in the primary is July 28.
In Anna Maria, there are three offices up for election - mayor, currently a post held by Fran Barford, and two city commission seats, those currently held by Jo Ann Mattick and Duke Miller. Filing is this week.
Three offices also are up for election in Holmes Beach - mayor, currently a post held by Rich Bohnenberger, and two city commission seats, currently held by Sandy Haas-Martens and John Monetti. Filing takes place from noon July 7 to noon July 11.
In Bradenton Beach, there are two offices up for election - city commission seats in Ward 2, currently held by Bob Connors, and Ward 4, currently held by John Chappie, who has declared his candidacy for the county commission seat held by Jane von Hahmann. Filing began this week.
Other offices to be decided this year include:
- All congressional seats, including the District 13 seat currently held by Rep. Vern Buchanan, R.
- All Florida House seats, including the seat currently held by state Rep. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton.
- Some Florida Senate seats, including the seat held by Mike Bennett, R-Bradenton.
- Numerous court posts, including the state attorney and public defender in the 12th Judicial Circuit.
- Countywide offices, including the clerk of the circuit court, property appraiser, sheriff, supervisor of elections and tax collector.
- Three county commission seats, including the District 1 seat held by Amy Stein, the District 3 seat that encompasses Anna Maria Island held by Jane von Hahmann, the District 5 seat held by Donna Hayes and the at-large District 7 seat held by Joe McClash.
- Two school board seats, those currently held by Harry Kinnan and Bob Gause, whose district includes Anna Maria Island.
- Mosquito control and soil conservation posts.
- West Manatee Fire Rescue District commission seats, including District 1, currently held by Jesse Davis, and District 5, currently held by Jack Emery.
For more information about elections in Manatee County, visit www.votemanatee.com on the Internet, or call 941-741-3823.