Thursday, May 8
8 p.m. “The Long Weekend” opens at the Island Players playhouse at Gulf Drive and Pine Avenue in Anna Maria. The play continues Tuesdays through Sundays through May 18. Information: 941-778-6878.
Friday, May 9
5:30 p.m. The Anna Maria Island Art League presents the 14th annual Manatee High Exhibit, beginning with a reception at the AMIAL gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. The exhibit continues through May 28. Information: 941-778-2099.
Saturday, May 10
6:30 a.m. Manatee County Conservation Land Management Department representatives lead a tour through Leffis Key on the bayside of Coquina Beach. Information and reservations: 941-748-4501, ext. 4615.
8 a.m. The Anna Maria Island Privateers host the annual Whitey Horton Memorial Golf Tournament, barbecue and awards banquet at River Run Golf Links, 1801 27th St. E., Bradenton. Information: 941-812-1412.
8 a.m. Manatee County Conservation Land Management hosts a BioBlitz at Robinson Preserve in west Manatee County. Information and reservations: 941-748-4501, ext. 4615.
8:30 a.m. The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The speaker is art teacher Karen Ellsworth. Information: 941-795-8697.
Sunday, May 11
Today is Mother’s Day.
Tuesday, May 13
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
- Through May, free yoga sessions will be conducted on Saturdays at 8 a.m. on the beach near the Spruce Street entrance in Anna Maria. Participants are encouraged to bring a mat or a large towel. Information: 941-778-4109 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pet lovers share stories on the second Wednesday of the month at the Martinique North condominium in the “Surf Clubhouse,” 5300 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1989.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- On Fridays at 6:30 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts a free movie night in the gym. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On May 17, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host Snooks Adams Kids Day with games, treasures and treats at Bayfront Park in Anna Maria.
- On May 25, the Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts a Memorial Day celebration on Bridge Street. Information: 941-720-3317 or visit www.hbsma.com.
- May 26 is Memorial Day.
- On May 31 and June 1, the Anna Maria Island Relay for Life benefiting the local American Cancer Society takes place at Coquina Beach. Registration is under way. Information: 941-518-4431.
Save the date:
- On June 1, the 2008 hurricane season begins. Be prepared.
- On June 8, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, hosts World Ocean Day Family Festival. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- On June 15, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium Sarasota, hosts the Pirate Coast Dive Festival at Siesta Key Beach. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- On July 3, the BeachHouse Restaurant presents its annual fireworks display. Information: 941-779-2222.
- On July 19, the South Florida Museum celebrates the birthday of Snooty the Manatee. Information: 941-746-4131.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.