Thursday, Aug. 21
10:15 a.m. - Friends of the Island Branch Library Book Club meets at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
1 p.m. - Cultural Connections of Anna Maria Island unveils its rack card and artsHop plans at The Studio at Gulf and Pine, Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1880.
2 p.m. - Travel movie at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
4 p.m. - How to take better travel/adventure photos presented by James Corwin Johnson at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
8 p.m. - The Will Rogers Follies opens at the Manatee Players, 102 Old Main St., Bradenton, through Sept. 7. Information: 941-748-5875. Fee applies.
Friday, Aug. 22
6 to 9:30 p.m. - Simply Put Artisan Gallery, 11904 Cortez Road, hosts “Fourth Friday” featuring local artists and performers. Information: 941-896-5053.
Saturday, Aug. 23
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
Monday, Aug. 25
Deadline to register for the Ben Gullett Mullet Invitational Fishing Contest to benefit the Florida Institute for Saltwater Heritage. Registration forms available at Star Fish Company, 12306 46th Ave. W., Cortez, or online at www.cortezvillage.org.
2 to 4 p.m. - “Blue Monday” featuring performances by Scott Blum Music at Freedom Village, 6406 21st Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-798-8122.
Tuesday, Aug. 26
Today is primary Election Day.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program about global networking groups with Neal Loth at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, Aug. 27
5:30 p.m. - Teen movie night at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
- Antique summer fashion display Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Anna Maria Island Historical Museum, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, through August. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Aug. 28, “Grape Escape” wine tasting and networking at Freedom Village.
- Aug. 30, West Manatee Fire Rescue Auxiliary rummage sale.
- Sept. 1 is Labor Day.
- Sept. 5-6, Gullet Invitational Fishing Contest sponsored by the Star Fish Company and The Islander.
- Sept. 6, Bay Wise kayak tour to Robinson Preserve.
- Sept. 7, Red tide seminar at New College.
Save the date
- Sept. 29, the annual Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce golf outing. Information: 941-778-1541.
- Nov. 2, Anna Maria Elementary 1950s student reunion picnic.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
- Nov. 15, Village of Cortez Folk Festival.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.