If wishes were fishes
Indeed, if wishes were fishes on Anna Maria Island, we would have abundant gifts.
An estimated 50 percent of charitable giving by individuals in the United States - and, hopefully, on AMI - takes place between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
For its 14th annual Wishbook, The Islander collected wishes from local community groups, some of them large, many of them small, all of them in need of assistance as staff and volunteers prepare to begin a new year of service.
We encourage readers to sit down with the Wishbook - copies are available at The Islander newspaper office at 5404 Marina Drive in Holmes Beach and online at www.islander.org - and look for something special for a special organization or institution. Make a list, check it twice.
Here's a sampling of wishes:
- Earthboxes for the garden project at Anna Maria Elementary School (941-708-5525).
- Canned goods for All Island Denominations' pantry (941-778-4579).
- Art supplies for the Anna Maria Island Art League (941-778-2099).
- Wednesday night dinners for the All Island Youth club (941-778-7430).
- A new laptop for the Anna Maria Island Historical Society (941-778-0492).
- More singing voices for the Harvey Community Church Choir (941-779-1912).
- An electronic scoreboard for the Anna Maria Island Community Center (941-778-1908).
- Toys for the Anna Maria Island Privateers' Christmas Parade (941-778-8519).
- Storage space for the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce (941-778-1541).
- Pressure-treated pine for the Anna Maria Island Butterfly Garden (941-518-4431).
- A chain saw for the Florida Gulf Coast Maritime Museum/FISH (941-708-6121).
- Historic pictures for the Cortez Village Historical Society (941-795-7121.
- Courtyard lighting for the Longboat Key Center for the Arts (941-383-2345).
- Painters for the Holy Name Society (941-778-4769).
- Metal flashlights for the Island Players (941-778-7374).
- Ceiling fans for the Longboat Key, Lido Key, St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce (941-383-2466.
- Plastic or paper tableware for the Off Stage Ladies (941-792-0028).
- Bird seed for Wildlife Inc. (941-778-6324).
- A new front door for the Annie Silver Community Center (941-794-1414).
- Reference books for the Tingley Memorial Library (941-779-1208).
- Book donations for the Friends of the Island Branch Library book sale (941-778-6341).
Last but not least, we wish for donors to meet the challenge made by Chuck and Joey Lester to give to the Anna Maria Island Community Center capital campaign - its ongoing building fund for a new Center. Amounts large and small will help with our goal to fund the new facility and every "red cent" donated between now and Dec. 31 up to $50,000 will be matched by the Lesters.
Make your gift count.