Wednesday, April 23
5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a business card exchange at the Anna Maria Island Historical Society museum and park, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1541.
Thursday, April 24
11:30 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds a lunch at Flemings Prime Steakhouse, 2001 Siesta Drive, Sarasota. Fee. Information: 941-383-2466.
6 p.m. to 9 p.m. - Island-owned Mixon’s in the Grove, 2712 26th Ave. E., Bradenton, hosts a 1960s party. Information: 941-730-9805.
Friday, April 25
11 a.m. - A ribbon-cutting ceremony on the Palma Sola Scenic Highway is the first of several National Arbor Day celebrations.
Noon - The city of Anna Maria celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting on North Bay Boulevard across from Bayfront Park.
2 p.m. - The city of Holmes Beach celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting at the canal ending between 75th and 77th streets.
5 p.m. to 10 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce presents a concert at the corner of Pine Avenue and Bay Boulevard in Anna Maria.
8 p.m. - The DeSoto Heritage Festival’s DeSoto Ball takes place at the Bradenton Municipal Auditorium, 1005 Barcarrotta Blvd., Bradenton. Fee. Information: 941-747-7953.
Saturday, April 26
6:15 a.m. - The DeSoto Heritage Festival’s 5K Run takes place on Manatee Avenue in Bradenton. Fee. Information: 941-747-7953.
8 a.m. to 1 p.m. - The Historic Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts the Bridge Street Market in Bradenton Beach.
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The speaker is David Miner regarding the “school board crisis.” Information: 941-795-8697.
9 a.m. - The third annual Parade of Ponds Water Garden Tour takes place in the area, including at several locations on Anna Maria Island. Fee. Information: 941-752-7663.
6 p.m. - Pelican Pete’s, 12012 Cortez Road, hosts a benefit for the Florida Center for Child and Family Development. Information: 941-792-4822.
6:30 p.m. - The DeSoto Heritage Festival’s Grand Parade and After-Parade Party takes place in downtown Bradenton, The parade travels west on Ninth Avenue, north on 39th Street West to Manatee Avenue, then east toward downtown and Ninth Street West. The after-party takes place at the Bradenton Municipal Auditorium, 1005 Barcarrota Blvd., Bradenton. Information: 941-747-7953.
Monday, April 28
5:30 p.m. - A Visit Florida seminar organized by the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce takes place at Holmes Beach City Hall, 5801 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
Tuesday, April 29
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. District Rotary officials are scheduled to speak. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, April 30
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds a breakfast meeting at its offices, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Fee. Information: 941-383-2466.
- In April,Cortez artist Cecy Richardson is the artist of the month at the Island Gallery West, 5368 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information, call 941-792-1039.
- Through April 30, the Ortygia Restaurant, 1418 13th St. W., showcases the paintings of Island artist Lolly Owen’s “All that Jazz” series of work. Information: 941-744-1333.
- Throughout April, the Studio at Gulf and Pine presents Linda Chapman’s “Fur and Feathers in Fine Art.” The Studio is at 10101 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1906.
- The Artists Guild of Anna Maria Island features the work of Karen Cunningham in April at the Guild Gallery, 5414 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6694
- The Anna Maria Island Art League celebrates the “Landscapes of the Island” through May 1 at its gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2099
- Pet lovers share stories on the second Wednesday of the month at the Martinique North condominium in the “Surf Clubhouse,” 5300 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1989.
- The Anna Maria Island Historical Society, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, sells early settlers bread on Wednesdays at the museum. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Through April 27, the South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W., exhibits “John J. Audubon: Birds of Florida,” a selection of rare and valuable Audubon works of art and artifacts. Fee. Information: 941-746-4131.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- On Fridays at 6:30 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts a free movie night in the gym. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays, including cooking, dance, fitness and art classes. The Center also hosts a variety of athletic programs. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The second and fourth Mondays of the month at 9 a.m., the widowed persons support group meets at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On May 8, “The Long Weekend” opens at the Island Players theater at Gulf and Pine in Anna Maria. The play continues Tuesdays through Sundays through May 18. Information: 941-778-6878.
- On May 9, the Anna Maria Island Art League presents the 14th annual Manatee High Exhibit, beginning with a reception at the AMIAL gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. The exhibit continues through May 28. Information: 941-778-2099.
- On May 10, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host the annual Whitey Horton Memorial Golf Tournament, barbecue and awards banquet at River Run Golf Links, 1801 27th St. E., Bradenton. Information: 941-812-1412.
- May 11 is Mother’s Day. Don’t forget.
Save the date:
- On May 17, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host Snooks Adams Kids Day at Bayfront Park in Anna Maria.
- On May 25, the Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts a Memorial Day celebration on Bridge Street. Information: 941-720-3317 or visit www.hbsma.com.
- May 26 is Memorial Day.
- On May 31 and June 1, the Anna Maria Island Relay for Life benefiting the local American Cancer Society takes place at Coquina Beach. Registration is under way. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On June 1, the 2008 hurricane season begins. Be prepared.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.