AME dates to remember
The Anna Maria Elementary 2007-08 school calendar is winding up, however, there are still opportunities for community involvement. Following are some dates to remember:
On Tuesday, April 29, as The Islander is being distributed, Parent-Teacher Organization family dinner night by Island Gourmet starts at 5 p.m. in the cafeteria and and the fourth-grade student performance follows in the auditorium.
- 8 a.m. May 2, volunteer appreciation breakfast.
- 6 to 11 p.m. May 3, Spring Fling dinner, dance and silent auction at St. Bernard Catholic Church.
- May 9, Field Day activities.
- 3:15 p.m. May 12, School Advisory Committee Meeting in the media center.
- May 12-16, staff appreciation week.
- 9 a.m. May 16, Parent-Teacher Organization meeting.
- 8 a.m. to noon May 16, blood drive.
- 7 p.m. May 20, Fifth-grade performance in the auditorium.
- May 21, fifth-grade DARE graduation.
- May 26, school holiday.
- May 30, early release.
- May 30-June 1, AME Relay for Life Team at Coquina Beach.
- June 3, fifth-grade graduation lunch.
- June 4, fifth-grade vs. staff kickball game.
- 6:30 p.m. June 5, early release, family skate night at Florida Wheels.
- June 6, summer vacation begins.
Wednesday, April 30
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds a breakfast meeting at its offices, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Fee. Information: 941-383-2466.
Saturday, May 3
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
9:30 a.m. - The REAL Women’s Ministry of Crosspointe Fellowship celebrates Mother’s Day with a brunch at the church, 8605 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7845.
10:30 a.m. - Save Anna Maria Inc. holds a meeting at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2549.
Sunday, May 4
8 a.m. - A 5-kilometer run to benefit the Children’s Academy of Southwest Florida Inc., takes place starting in Bayfront Park in Anna Maria. Information: 941-746-8726.
Monday, May 5
1:15 p.m. - The Gulf Coast Writers group meets at the Island Public Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, to hear from Lakewood Ranch writer Patda Jim DeLaTorre. Information: 941-778-7631.
Tuesday, May 6
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
6:30 p.m. - The Florida Institute of Saltwater Heritage holds its annual meeting and potluck dinner at the Florida Maritime Museum, 4415 119th St. W., Cortez. Information: 941-708-6121.
- The Anna Maria Island Art League celebrates the “Landscapes of the Island” through May 1 at its gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2099.
- Through May, yoga sessions will be conducted on Saturdays at 8 a.m. on the beach near the Spruce Street entrance in Anna Maria. Participants are encouraged to bring a mat or a large towel. Donation. Information: 941-778-4109 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pet lovers share stories on the second Wednesday of the month at the Martinique North condominium in the “Surf Clubhouse,” 5300 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1989.
- The Anna Maria Island Historical Society, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, sells early settlers bread on Wednesdays at the museum. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- On Fridays at 6:30 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts a free movie night in the gym. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays, including cooking, dance, fitness and art classes. The Center also hosts a variety of athletic programs. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The second and fourth Mondays of the month at 9 a.m., the widowed persons support group meets at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On May 8, “The Long Weekend” opens at the Island Players theater at Gulf and Pine in Anna Maria. The play continues Tuesdays through Sundays through May 18. Information: 941-778-6878.
- On May 9, the Anna Maria Island Art League presents the 14th annual Manatee High Exhibit, beginning with a reception at the AMIAL gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. The exhibit continues through May 28. Information: 941-778-2099.
- On May 10, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host the annual Whitey Horton Memorial Golf Tournament, barbecue and awards banquet at River Run Golf Links, 1801 27th St. E., Bradenton. Information: 941-812-1412.
- May 11 is Mother’s Day. Don’t forget.
Save the date:
- On May 17, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host Snooks Adams Kids Day at Bayfront Park in Anna Maria.
- On May 25, the Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts a Memorial Day celebration on Bridge Street. Information: 941-720-3317 or visit www.hbsma.com.
- May 26 is Memorial Day.
- On May 31 and June 1, the Anna Maria Island Relay for Life benefiting the local American Cancer Society takes place at Coquina Beach. Registration is under way. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On June 1, the 2008 hurricane season begins. Be prepared.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.