Wednesday, July 16
5:30 p.m. - Learn to draw mythical creations with comic-book author and illustrator Bruce Allen Wallis at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Thursday, July 17
10:15 a.m. - Friends of the Island Branch Library book club at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
2 p.m. - Movie at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Saturday, July 19
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
9 a.m. - Manatee County hosts a grand opening at Robinson Preserve, 1704 99th St. NW., Bradenton, with trail hikes and a ribbon-cutting. Information: 941-748-4501.
9:30 to 11:30 a.m. - Wild Kids Weekends “Summer in the Salt Marsh” hands-on activities and games for children at Robinson Preserve, 1704 99th St. NW., Bradenton. Reservations required: 941-748-4501, ext. 4605.
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - South Florida Museum Parker Manatee Aquarium, 201 10th St. W., Bradenton, celebrates the birthday of Snooty the Manatee. For details, go to www.southfloridamuseum.org. Information: 941-746-4131.
Tuesday, July 22
10 a.m. - The Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts a performance by the Earthlings Washboard Band. Information: 941-778-6341.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
6 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center hosts teen sunset volleyball at the Manatee Public Beach, 4200 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1908.
Wednesday, July 23
5:30 p.m. - “Create a duct-tape wallet” program at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
- Antique summer fashion display Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Anna Maria Island Historical Museum, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, through August. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- Simply Put Artesian Gallery, 11904 Cortez Road, Cortez, hosts “Fourth Fridays” from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on the fourth Friday of each month. Information: 941-896-5053.
- Teen Boys’ Night meetings take place Wednesdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Teen Girls’ Night meetings take place Thursdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center. Information: 941-778-1908.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On the first and third Saturdays in July, the Historic Bridge Street Merchants Association presents the Bridge Street Market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Bradenton Beach. The event will take a late-summer break and resume in the fall. Information: 941-518-4431.
- July 25-27, the Anna Maria Island Community Center Fishing Tournament takes place. Information: 941-778-1908, ext. 9203.
- July 28-Aug. 7 the Island Players offers an improvisation workshop for ages 16 and older. Information: 941-518-4431.
- July 30, Mote Marine experts bring “Shark Jeopardy” to the Island Branch Library. Information: 941-778-6341.
Save the date
- On Aug. 15-17, the Island Players welcome the Welsh Players for a performance of “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Fee. Information: 941-778-5755.
- On Aug. 26, Florida holds its primary election.
- Sept. 1 is Labor Day.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.