Wednesday, July 9
5:30 p.m. - The Florida Public Archaeology Network presents a teen program on the past at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Thursday, July 10
11 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center’s teens program heads to Leffis Key in Bradenton Beach to clean up the preserve. Information: 941-778-1908.
11:30 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce “Nooner” luncheon at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Gulf Drive S., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-383-2466. Fee applies.
2 p.m. - Movie at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
7:30 p.m. - Wii bowling for adults at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908. Fee applies.
Friday, July 11
6:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts movie night in the gym, showing G-rated feature movie, “The Spiderwick Chronicles.” Information: 941-778-1908.
Saturday, July 12
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Carwash at Holmes Beach City Hall, 5801 Marina Drive, with proceeds to benefit the Vandermolen family, whose home burned.
10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Family origami with Judy Pruitt at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - “Political Fun Raiser” meet and greet with Manatee County Commissioner Jane von Hahmann hosted by Karen Bell at Star Restaurant, 12306 46th Ave. W., Cortez. Free hot dogs, drinks and music by Eric von Hahmann.
8 p.m. - Karaoke “Cortez Idol” contest kicks off at Pelican Pete’s, 12012 Cortez Road, Cortez. Information: 941-518-3861.
Monday, July 14
10 a.m. - Democratic Women’s Club of Manatee “Breakfast at the Beach” at Café on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-761-4098 or 941-778-3444.
6 p.m. - “Redirecting Children’s Behavior” parenting workshop at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908. Babysitting available.
Tuesday, July 15
10 a.m. - The Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts a “Harry Potter” program. Information: 941-778-6341.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, July 16
5:30 p.m. - Learn to draw mythical creations with comic-book author and illustrator Bruce Allen Wallis at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- Simply Put Artisan Gallery, 11904 Cortez Road, hosts “Fourth Fridays” for Cortez, from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on the fourth Friday of each month. Information: 941-896-5053.
- Teen Boys Night meetings take place Wednesdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Teen Girls Night meetings take place Thursdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center. Information: 941-778-1908.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On the third Saturday in July, the Historic Bridge Street Merchants Association presents the Bridge Street Market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Bradenton Beach. The event will then take break and resume in the fall. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On July 19, the South Florida Museum celebrates the birthday of Snooty the Manatee. Information: 941-746-4131.
- On July 19, Manatee County commissioners and the county conservation lands management department host a grand opening of Robinson Preserve, 1704 99th St. N.W., Bradenton. Information: 941-748-4501.
- On July 22, the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts a public performance by the Earthlings Washboard Band.
- July 25-27, the Anna Maria Island Community Center Fishing Tournament takes place. Information: 941-778-1908, ext. 9203.
Save the date
- On Aug. 15-17, the Island Players welcome the Welsh Players to the Island for a performance of “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Fee. Information: 941-778-5755.
- On Aug. 26, Florida holds its primary election.
- Sept. 1 is Labor Day.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.