Wednesday, Aug. 1
5:30 p.m. - A teen-focused pizza party and CD/DVD “swap” takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Thursday, Aug. 2
6 p.m. - Manatee County Sheriff W. Brad Steube will address an audience at Holmes Beach City Hall, 5801 Marina Drive. Information: 941-708-5800.
Friday, Aug. 3
8 p.m. - The Village Bookshop, 1006 11th Ave. W., Village of the Arts, Bradenton, hosts a poetry night with an open mic at 8 p.m., featured poets at 9 p.m. and a summer heat poetry slam at 10 p.m. Information: 941-750-9141.
Saturday, Aug. 4
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island meets for a program and a breakfast at Cafe on the Beach at Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7823.
Tuesday, Aug. 7
Noon - The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island hears from West Manatee Fire Rescue District Chief Andy Price about the fire department during a lunch meeting at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, Aug. 8
7:45 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a sunrise breakfast sponsored by Century Bank at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Gulf Drive S., in Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
10:30 a.m. - The Friends Book Club meets at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
5:30 p.m. - A teen-focused program on scrub jays takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
6 p.m. - Manatee County holds an Emerson Point Preserve evening hike, a backwoods hike on the Terra Ceia Trail. The preserve is on the western tip of Snead Island in Palmetto. Information: 941-748-4501.
8 p.m. - The Manatee Players kickoff the 2007-08 season with the annual Divas summer review at the Riverfront Theatre, 102 Old Main St., Bradenton. Information: 941-748-5875.
- Throughout August, area businesses celebrate Jazz on the Islands in partnership with the Bradenton Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. Jazz fans can expect to find live music at many Island restaurants and clubs, as well as musicians on the free Island trolley and a sampling of bop, groove, fusion and smooth jazz at www.jazzontheislands.com/see.php. Information: 941-729-9177.
- The Studio at Gulf and Pine, 10101 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria, hosts “Conversations at the Studio” Wednesdays at 5 p.m. Information: 941-778-1906.
- Through July 31, Lee Mears is the featured artist at the Island Gallery West, 5368 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach, through July 31. Information: 941-778-6648.
- Through July 31, the Artists Guild of Anna Maria Island Art Gallery holds a “Celebrate Summer” sale at the store, 5413 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Store hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. Information: 941-778-6694.
- On the last Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 hosts a basic “America’s Boating Course” in the Buchanan Room at Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- On the second Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 holds a “GPS for Mariners Course” at 10 a.m. at the Mote Marine Keating Center, Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- Mondays through Thursdays until Sept. 27 the Durante Gallery at the Longboat Key Center for the Arts, 6860 Longboat Drive S., hosts the “Colors of Summer” exhibit. Information: 941-383-2466.
- Mondays and Thursdays from Sept. 10 to Oct. 25, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 hosts a “Boating Skills and Seamanship Course” at the Mote Marine Keating Center, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
Save the date:
- On Aug. 20,Manatee County School District students start the 2007-08 school year.
- On Sept. 8, the Manatee High School Her-icanes girls soccer team hosts a fundraising golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club. Call 941-807-1105.
- On Sept. 17, the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds its annual golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club beginning at noon. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Oct. 20, the annual Bayfest, organized by the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce, takes place in Anna Maria from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Feb. 10, 2008, the Anna Maria Wedding Merchants Association hosts an Island wedding trade fair. Information: 941-778-8705.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a name and phone number.