Holmes Beach — Sometimes the beach needs a boost.
The first of two beach renourishment projects, approved by the Manatee County Board of Commissioners in October 2019, will start July 2.
The projects are planned to restore sand lost through erosion by pumping sand in pipes from an offshore seabed to the beach.
The first phase, the Central Beach Project, will start at 78th Street North in Holmes Beach and run south to about Fifth Street South in Bradenton Beach.
The second phase, the Coquina Beach Project, will start at Fifth Street South in Bradenton Beach and continue south to Longboat Pass.
The anticipated schedule for the project, weather permitting, provided by contractor Marinex Construction of Charleston, South Carolina, will be:
- Mobilization: Through July 1;
- Beach fill: July 2-Oct. 31;
- Demobilization: Oct. 31-Nov. 15.
Construction equipment will be moved down the beach around the clock, with heavy activity in front of each property expected to continue no longer than a few days. Severe weather, mechanical issues or environmental protections could cause delays, according to the county website.
For the first phase, federal funding from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will pay 59.05% of the projected $20.5 million cost and the remaining 40.95% will be split between the state and county.
Of the cost for the southern renourishment, $2.65 million will come from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and $1.1 million will be split evenly by the state and county.
The county share of beach renourishment comes from the Tourist Development Council budget from the 5% bed tax charged for all accommodations of six months or less.
For more information about beach renourishment, visit mymanatee.org and search “beach renourishment.”