Story Tools

Date of Issue: December 08, 2005

Kitchen fire, sirens interrupt night

A kitchen fire alarmed some residents around 11:30 p.m. Sunday when sirens were heard from two engines, an areial ladder truck and the battalion chief responding to a fire call from West Manatee Fire & Rescue. Longboat Key Fire District and Cedar Hammock Fire and Rescue each responded with an engine as well.

A total of 16 firefighters responded to the two-story residential duplex at 8004 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, where a kitchen fire was caused by overheated cooking oil on the stove, according to WMFR Capt. Ernie Cave.

Cave said the call was received at 11:37 p.m. and the fire was out by 11:59 p.m.

Both occupants of the apartment, one adult female and a minor, were transported to Blake Medical Center by Manatee County Emergency Medical Services for treatment and evaluation.

Damage to the duplex was confined primarily to the kitchen area and was estimated to be approximately $5,000.