A contract offer to Sully’s Quality Projects went out the window June 4 when commissioners declined to negotiate a down payment requested by the company.
The Venice-based firm was the top candidate, according to a ranking system that measured skill, experience, references, location of contractors, work plan and adherence to specifications of the project.
The commission unanimously voted June 4 to reject the contract with Sully’s, and voted 4-1 to allow Mayor Dan Murphy to begin negotiations with Speeler and Associates.
Commissioner Dale Woodland voted against negotiating any contract. He favors looking again at repairs to the current structure before proceeding with demolition and new construction.
Commissioners voted 4-0 – with Woodland absent — May 29 to authorize Murphy to negotiate with Sully’s during a review of the bids.
The mayor made the offer, but in an email reply June 1 from Sean Sullivan of Sully’s, the company requested a down payment by June 7 of $53,882.
The bottom line is more than $685,000 and the city is willing to pay, but Mayor Dan Murphy said he needed commission authorization to proceed, particularly for the advance payment.
The commission held a special meeting at 2 p.m. June 4 to discuss Sully’s counter offer and it was rejected.
The commission had voted May 18 to re-issue a request for proposals and accept another round of bids after the first round resulted in three bids the city deemed either too expensive — two bids came in at more than $750,000 — or from companies deemed too inexperienced.
The revised RFP included a new ranking system that de-emphasized locality and emphasized cost and experience for the contractor, and required completion by the end of August.
Five companies submitted bids by the May 25 deadline.
Three firms — Sully’s, Speeler and Associates and Under Construction Contractors — applied in both rounds for the demolition contract and two additional companies — Kelly Brothers and Shoreline Foundation — bid in the second round.
Sully’s received the most points, 79.3 out of 100, with a $685,530 bid, offering completion by Aug. 16.
According to the terms of a draft contract sent by the mayor to Sully’s May 31, the company was required to mobilize at the pier no later than June 24.
Speeler’s and Associates received 78.3 for its $732,000 bid to finish the project by Aug. 31. Shoreline Foundation received 70 points for a $642,908 bid with no specified end date.
Under Construction received 68 points for its $495,000 bid to finish the project in 120 days and Kelly Brothers received 66 points for a $406,417.92 bid to complete the project by October.
Commissioner Brian Seymour said Speeler received higher points in the categories most important to the city: experience, references, adherence to specifications and a detailed work plan.
He asked if the city was bound to follow the chart ranking set out for negotiation.
Murphy said ignoring the ranking system would be unfair to the bidders, he said.
Murphy’s original estimate for the cost of the demolition was $300,000-$500,000. The entire projected is expected to cost up to $4.5 million.
The city anticipates the new pier walkway and platform will be completed by December 2019. The restaurant, bait shop and facilities will follow.
Engraved memorial planks on the pier walkway should be ready for distribution in the first week of July to some 200 people who previously requested them.
Remaining planks will be used to construct memorial fences in City Pier Park, 101 N. Bay Blvd., and behind Belhaven Cottage at the Anna Maria Island Historical Museum, 402 Pine Ave.